This was an awesome dish we had for dinner last night. I’m eating the leftovers as I write this. Even the kiddos scarfed it down! (Well except for the three year old who suddenly decided he doesn’t like cooked carrots. Give him three days and he’ll remember that he actually likes them!)
We didn’t really use a “recipe” to make this, but here is what we did:
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds mild, Italian sausage cut into bite size pieces
- baby carrots*
- small, sweet peppers, stem and seeds removed*
- one large onion, coarsely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons minced garlic
- Montreal Steak Seasoning (or whatever you like)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Add all the veggies, sausage and garlic to a large sheet cake pan (ours is 13×19)
- Drizzle the whole thing with olive oil
- Stir to ensure that all the pieces are coated
- Stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes
When it’s done, most of the sausage should be browned and the sweet potatoes should be soft. This served our family of six plus there was enough left for my lunch today.
A dish like this has lots of options for variety as well. You could …
- Replace the sausage with chicken or beef.
- Change up the sweet potatoes for other paleo friendly tubers / root veggies like turnips or beets.
- Add some cayenne pepper or chili flakes for a kick
Use your imagination! This was soooooo easy to make. I think I spent 20 minutes tops cutting everything up and putting it in the pan. Plus I only had one pan, one cutting board and one knife to clean up (not counting the plates we served it on).